WALK KS 2017
March 19 - May 13
REGISTRATION: Opens online February 27, 2017 and Ends March 13, 2017
COST: $6.00 per person / $36.00 for your team of 6 (shirts are available at an additional cost) Click HERE to view the shirts
You can REGISTER ON-LINE by clicking HERE!
REGISTRATION PACKETS ARE AVAILABLE BY CLICKING HERE or stop by your local River Valley District Extension Office!
How does Walk Kansas work?
- Co-workers, family members, friends and neighbors form teams of 6 people who will track minutes of physical activity and food choices during the 8-week challenge.
- Each team identifies a goal, or challenge, it wants to reach. Three challenges are offered. Challenge 1 is the distance across the state, and would require each member to reach the minimum guidelines for physical activity, 150 minutes per week. To reach Challenge 2, the team must go across and back, or 5 hours per week for each participant. Challenge 3 takes the team 1200 miles around the perimeter of the state, a 6-hour-per-week goal for each person.
- Walking isn’t the only activity that counts. Read through your “Move More – Feel Better, Physical Activity Guide” to learn about moderate and vigorous activities that count, and strengthening exercises. Just a reminder – any activity you report should be performed for a minimum of 10 consecutive minutes.
- Participants record daily fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Team members report progress to their team captain each week. Team captain reports totals to local program each week.
- Friendly competition can be motivating so check team progress on this website.
How do I get involved?
It's as easy as 1-2-3!
Start a Team! Gather 6 people (including yourself) who will motivate and encourage each other, and decide who will serve as captain.
As a team, choose a name and decide which challenge your team will work toward.
Register for Walk Kansas! Registration and participant materials are available from your local Extension office. Check their website for more information. Most local programs like to have registration one week before Walk Kansas begins
Walk Kansas is a team-based program that will help you and others lead a healthier life. Join this program and
- be more active with friends and family,
- make better nutrition choices,
- and walk away your stress.
The second annual Walk Kansas 5K for the Fight and Family Fun Walk will be held May 6, 2017 on the beautiful K-State campus in Manhattan! During 2016, the inaugural year, we raised $1,025 for cancer research and the Johnson Cancer Research Center at K-State. They will be the beneficiary of our profits again this year. Stay tuned for more details about the event and how to register.